Home of beautiful Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Alger County extends along the southern shore of Lake Superior for over 80 miles. Several hundred thousand visitors come to local attractions each year, supporting a significant year-round tourism industry. Alger County also contains a significant amount of manufacturing employment and is connected to the Midwest and Canadian markets by means of Highway M-28 and US-41, as well as by rail. Alger County's vast forests of white pine, which brought the lumber industry to the area, have been largely replaced by hardwood forests. But the wealth of natural resources is still crucial to the local economy, supplying both raw materials for industry and scenic beauty and recreation opportunities for local and tourists alike to enjoy.
Cities, Towns & Villages:
Attractions and Events:
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore; Hiawatha National Forest; Grand Island National Recreation Area; 10 scenic waterfalls; Alger Underwater Preserve; Recreational harbor facilities at Grand Marais and Munising on Lake Superior; Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park; Trails (part of North Country Trail Network); Pictured Rocks Cruises; Charter fishing boats; Grand Marais Airport Fly-In; Snowmobiling; cross-country skiing; mountain biking; hunting and fishing.
National Parks & Lakeshores:
State Forest Campgrounds:
State Forest Pathways:
- Alger Falls - 1 mile S of Munising at intersection of M-28 & M-94
- Au Train Falls - 8 miles S of Au Train or .1 miles N of M-94 on Power Dam Road
- Bridal Veil Falls - Located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, about 1.5 miles from Miner's Beach.
- Chapel Falls - Off H-58 in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore between Miners & Sable Falls
- Great Sable Falls - Grand Marais
- Horseshoe Falls - 602 Bell Ave., Munising
- Laughing Whitefish Falls Scenic Site - Dorsey Rd., Sundell
- Miners Falls - Located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, 3.5 miles N of H-58 on Miners Castle Rock.
- Mosquito Falls - Mosquito River, 10.5 miles NE of Munising
- Munising Falls - 1.5 mi NE of downtown Munising, follow H-58 to Washington St, drive one-half mile.
- Rock River Falls - Chatham
- Rudolph Olson Memorial Falls - 1.2 miles NE of Munising at intersection of H-58 & Washington S
- Sable Falls - 1.5 miles W of Grand Marais on H-58
- Scott Falls - South side of M-28, east side of Lake Superior's Au Train Bay.
- Spray Falls - This remote and impressive waterfall plunges directly into Lake Superior.
- Tannery Falls - This is a largely unadvertised waterfall hidden away in Munising.
- Wagner Falls Scenic Site - M-28, (2 Miles East of Munising) to M 94 West 1/4 mile.
Wineries & Vineyards: