Enchanted Forest Guide to Northern Michigan
 “Promoting Northern Michigan Businesses & Organizations Since 1997”

Photo-New Presque Isle Lighthouse-250-188
Photo-AuSable River-250x188

Photo-Leland Fish Town-250x188

Photo-Tahquamenon Falls-250x188
New Presque Isle Lighthouse
Alcona Pond - Au Sable River
Leland’s Fishtown
Tahquamenon Falls in Fall Colors
Home | Counties, Cities, Towns & Villages | Attractions | Dining Out | Lodging | Military Discounts | Organizations | Outdoors | Services | Shopping | Advertising With Us | Contact Us
Northern Michigan Historic Sites

 

Order a Premium Listing for your business for only $39.95/year. Click here!

 

 

Historic Sites

Adventure Mining Company, M-38, Greenland, MI 49929, Phone: (906) 883-3371.  The Adventure Mining Company offers a variety of surface and underground tours of our historic Adventure Copper Mine in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The store carries a wide range of unique gifts, copper, Adventure Mining company clothing, books, jewelry, refreshments, and other items. Open late-May through mid-October from 9 - 6 daily and 11 - 6 pm on Sunday.

Alpena City Hall [Historical Site], 208 N. First Avenue, Alpena, MI 49707, Phone: (989) 354-4158. The first of the 20th century government buildings built on the Alpena  government square was the Alpena City Hall, which was designed by clerk  & manager of Bay City and built by Richard Collins of Alpena at a  cost of $50. This stately structure blends Georgian and other classical  elements in a public building design formula established in Michigan by  David Gibb's courthouse & followed by those of Claire Allen. Part of the Sweetwater Trail.

Alpena County Courthouse [Historic Site], 720 Chisholm Street, Alpena, MI 49707, Phone: (989) 356-0930. An imposing Art Deco public building, probably the first public building constructed of poured Portland cement material in Alpena. Built in  1935. Architect William H. Kuni of Detroit designed the structure. The  Portland cement was prepared from locally quarried limestone. The  courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Old Bailey School [Historic Site] On the site of the Sturgeon Point Lighthouse is the Bailey School, a one-room schoolhouse originally operated in Mikado, a small community approximately 25 miles southwest of the lighthouse. It was moved to this site in 1998. The Norway pine structure was built in 1907 and is still furnished with items of its era. Original to the school is the recitation bench, blackboard, maps, coat rack and pump. Other items include teacher and student desks, drinking pail and dipper, wood stove, and books.  Its original school bell sits on the building’s roof. The historical society’s annual Log Cabin Day and Strawberry Social is held at the school on the last Sunday in June.  Open to the public seven days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 11am to 3:30. Classes by Request. Phone:  (989) 736-3151

Crooked Tree Arts Center [Historical Site, Art Gallery], 461 E. Mitchell Street, Petoskey, MI 49770, Phone: (231) 347-4337

Iron Mountain Iron Mine, Vulcan, MI.  On US-2 10 miles east of Iron Mountain.  Guided underground mine tours by train, through 2,600 feet of underground drifts and stopes to see the reality of iron mining. Largest rock shop in Upper Michigan. Group rates and tours by appointment. Admission: Adults-$7, Ages 6-12 - $6, 6 and under-free. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily Memorial Day -October 15.  Phone: 906-563-8077

Tell Them You Found Them in the Enchanted Forest Guide to Northern Michigan

Lincoln Train Depot [Historic Site], Corner of Fiske & Lake Streets, Lincoln, MI 48742, Phone: (989) 727-4080. The Lincoln Depot, the last remaining depot of its kind in northeastern Michigan. A lonely reminder of Michigan's former dependence on the railroads that snaked up and down the state. The wood structure has been standing since the 1880's. Lincoln Train Depot (originally called the West Harrisville Depot) was built in 1886 by the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad. The Depot is located on Lake Street in Lincoln and served the community and the surrounding area until 1929. First rail service to this area passed through Lincoln from the south and continued north through Ossineke to Alpena. In December of 1998, the Lincoln Depot was officially recognized as a Michigan Historic Site. January 6, 1999, the Friends of Lincoln Depot became affiliated with the Alcona Historical Society. The building is structurally sound, and its restoration and use as a museum and historical site broadens the range of historical attractions available in the local area. Open 1st Monday of July – September, Monday through Firiday 1-4 pm, closed Saturday and Sunday.

Lumberman's Monument Visitor Center, Junction of River and Monument Roads, Huron-Manistee National Forests, Oscoda, MI 48750, Phone: (989) 362-8961. This huge bronze memorial to Michigan's lumbering era sits on a high  bluff overlooking the sparkling waters of the Au Sable River since 1932. Interpretive signs and exhibits tell the story of moving logs from the  forests to the mills. Children enjoy climbing the log jam and using the  crosscut saw. For those willing to hike 272 steps to the edge of the Au  Sable, they can board the Wanigan, a replica of the floating cook shacks that followed the river drives.

Old Victoria Restoration Site [Historic Site],  PO Box 43, Rockland, MI 49960, Phone: (906) 886-2617.  Old Victoria is maintained by the Society for the Restoration of Old Victoria, Inc and is open from Memorial Day weekend thru mid October each year and donations are suggested of $2.00. Learn the history of the pioneers during the Copper Rush and feel the romance of this place which time cannot change. Special events take place during the year are Craft Fairs and Log Cabin Day on the last Sunday in June each year.

Our Lady of the Woods Shrine, 100 Deyarmond Street, PO Box 189, Mio, MI 48647, Phone: (989) 826-5509, Email: stmarymio@i2k.com

Reed City Covered Bridge [Covered Bridge], US-131 and US-10, Reed City, MI 49677, Phone: (231) 832-6149

St. Bernard Catholic Church [Historic Site], 322 West Chisholm, Alpena, MI 49707, Phone: (989) 354-27676. In 1861, Bishop Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) came from Sault Ste Marie to Alpena where he founded a catholic church, it did not have a resident  pastor until 1966 when it was named for St. Bernard, the foundation of  the stone structure was laid in 1880, this structure completed by the  Irish in 1884. It houses the oldest catholic parish between Bay City and Cheboygan.

St. Mary’s in the Pine Episcopal Church, Ralph, MI. Located on Cty. Rd. G67 in Ralph. This tiny building in Ralph was officially dedicated in 1922. SERVICES:  Building, Dental, Personal, Professional, Medical, Real Estate, Rental, Repair, etc.:  Building, Dental, Personal, Professional, Medical, Real Estate, Rental, Repair, etc.are no longer held here. the church is open for tourist viewing.

Advertisements

 


Home | Counties, Cities, Towns & Villages | Northeastern Lower Peninsula | Northwestern Lower Peninsula | Upper Peninsula | Attractions | Amusement Parks | Aquariums | Bowling Lanes | Breweries & Brew Pubs | Casinos | Christmas Tree Farms | Civic Theaters | Forests/Wilderness Areas | Historic Sites | Lighthouses | Michigan's Wild & Scenic Rivers | Movies Cinemas | Museums | Orchards & Cider Mills | Parks & Nature Preserves | Planetariums | Racetracks | Rock Wall Climbing | Tours & Excursions | U-Pick Farms | Underwater Preserves | Water Parks | Waterfalls | Wildlife Viewing | Wineries & Vineyards | Zoos Dining Out | Lodging | Military Discounts | Organizations | Outdoors | Services | Shopping | Advertising With Us | Contact Us


elf-lt02

Copyright 1997-2016,  Enchanted Forest Web Page Design Service. All rights reserved.
Promoting Northern Michigan Businesses & Organizations Since 1997”
“A Veteran Owned And Operated Business”
3980 Curtisville Road, South Branch, MI 48761-9704
Phone: (989) 726-4416, Email: support@theenchantedforest.net
Created on Januaray 1, 1997. Last updated on August 06, 2016, Number of pages 786

VVACOLOR