Enchanted Forest Guide to Northern Michigan “Promoting Northern Michigan Businesses & Organizations Since 1997”
New Presque Isle Lighthouse
Alcona Pond - Au Sable River
Tahquamenon Falls in Fall Colors
Get a Premium Listing for Your Business in the Enchanted Forest Guide to Northern Michigan
Premium listings cost $39.95/year. They include: Photo Carousal: a photo carousal display six photographs of your business or organization. Description: a description of the products and /or services you are offering. Contact information: business name, address, telephone and fax numbers. Links: to your Website, Email, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and YouTube account Map: a Google Map showing your location. Weather Forecast: a local weather forecast from the Weather Underground. Updates: your listings may be updated at any time of the year. There is no additional charge for updates. Click Here To Order
Tell Them You Found Them in the Enchanted Forest Guide to Northern Michigan
Alcona County - Lighthouses
Sturgeon Point Light Station, P.O Box 174, Harrisville, MI 48740. Phone: (989) 724-6297. The Sturgeon Point Light Station is a lighthouse on Lake Huron in Alcona County, northeastern lower Michigan. Established to ward mariners off of a reef that extends 1.5 miles lakeward from Sturgeon Point, it is today regarded as a historic example of a Great Lakes lighthouse. The light station was built in 1869 of brick masonry on a limestone foundation. The tower stands 70 feet 9 inches in height, with a diameter of 16 feet at the base. The adjoining, two-story keeper’s quarters was designed in the Cape Cod style and built of the same materials. The light began its service with a sixth-order Fresnel lens which was upgraded to a 3.5-order lens (which had been originally installed at Oswego, New York twenty years later. In 1876, the light station was joined in its service by an adjacent United States Life-Saving Service station.] By the 1940s, the light was fully automated, and the Coast Guard withdrew all personnel and dismantled the life-saving station. The light station is a registered National Historical Landmark. Ownership was transferred from the Coast Guard to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources under the terms of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act, and operations are maintained by the Alcona County Historical Society. The lighthouse is maintained and operated by the Alcona Historical Society, which is a private organization that funds the maintenance and operation with few public funds. The Society is in the process of raising contributions to renovate and paint the lighthouse. The tower is regularly open during the summer for climbing by the public (for a small fee to cover insurance costs). The museum is open to the public, and is supported by donations..
Alger County - Lighthouses
Au Sable Light Station, Highway 28 to Highway 77, Grand Marais, MI 49839. Phone: (906) 387-3700. The AuSable Light Station is listed on the national register of historic places. Built in 1874 to warn mariners of a dangerous reef off of the AuSable Point. Now automated, the light station is being restored to its 1910 appearance. Guided tours are offered July and Aug., the grounds are always open, access is limited by snow from Nov.- April.
East Channel Lighthouse, Grand Island, Hiawatha National Forest, Munising, MI 49862, Phone: (906) 786-4062. Built in 1863, this lighthouse sits on the southeast shore of Grand Island on private property and was automated in 1913. The lighthouses function was replaced by the Munising Range Lights.
Grand Island Harbor Rear Range Light Station, Munising, MI 49862
Grand Island North Lighthouse, Grand Island, Munising, MI 49862, Phone: (906) 387-2138. On the northwest point of Grand Island. Since the Grand Island North Lighthouse is on private property, it cannot be viewed from land. Also, its location atop the cliff precludes viewing from the water, leaving views from the air the only possibility.
Grand Marais Harbor Inner Range Light Station, Grand Marais, Michigan. Grand Marais Harbor Range Light was built in 1908 and is still active. The Two story brick keeper dwelling is now a museum highlighting the history of the light and shipping in the area. The original lens will be used on the light when renovations are complete. The lighthouse is open for tours from July to September. Directions: From the intersection of M-77 and H-58 in Grand Marais follow C-702 north to beach head and light.
Grand Marais Harbor Range Light, Coastline, Grand Marais, MI 49839, Phone: (906) 494-2381. Located in Alger County at the outer end of pier. Lighthouse is on private property so viewing is from water only. The Grand Marais Historic Society operates the Lighthouse Keepers House and Museum.
Alpena Light, Alpena, Michigan. Located at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River, the 80-foot skeletal tower is best viewed from the transient docks at the City of Alpena’s Marina. Called "Sputnik" (resembles the Russian space satellite) and "Little Red" by locals, it is said this oft dismissed light is "Long on duty, short on beauty." Believed to be the only lighthouse of this type in the U.S., the station was built of wood in 1877, rebuilt of wood in 1888 and finally constructed of steel in 1914. An automated active aid to navigation, the Alpena Light originally housed a Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
Baraga County - Lighthouses
Huron Island Lighthouse, Located at Mouth of Huron Bay, L'Anse, MI 49946. Phone: (906) 524-7988. The Huron Island Lighthouse, constructed in 1868, still stands today atop Huron Island, the second largest island of the Huron Islands chain in southern Lake Superior. The lighthouse was built to guide vessel traffic between Marquette and Pequaming, and between the L'Anse/Baraga and Houghton/Hancock ports via the Portage entry in the state of Michigan. The lighthouse is approximately three miles north of Huron Point and the Huron Mountains, some twenty miles east of the Keweenaw Peninsula. No public access to the islands is available at this time.
Sand Point Light Station
Benzie County - Lighthouses
Frankfort North Breakwater Light, Coastline, Frankfort, MI 49635, Phone: (231) 352-4242. Built: 1932. "This automated light sits out on the end of the Frankfort North Breakwater, a popular destination for walkers and fishermen in the area.
Point Betsie Lighthouse, 3071 Pt. Betsie Road, 4 mi North of Frankfort, Frankfort, MI 49635, Phone: (231)352-7666. This oldest standing structure in Benzie County, built in 1858, marks the all-important entrance to southern end of the Manitou Passage, a once-vital maritime shipping channel. Although the lane is no longer used by large commercial vessels, the operating light signal remains a US Coast Guard aid to navigation to this day, and the site shines as a treasured landmark to mariners and landlubbers alike. Because the USCG automated the light in 1983 and subsequently vacated the buildings in 1996, by 2004 it was possible to transfer title to Benzie County who, in turn, leased the site to the all-volunteer organization, Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse, Inc. In a strong partnership, the County and the Friends have set about renovating the deteriorating buildings. By 2006, they had completed a nearly $1 M exterior restoration phase. Further work continues on a barrier-free access, the Fog/Signal structure, and the interiors of both major buildings. The site has been open for tours and gift shopping, primarily on weekends from Memorial Day to Columbus Day, since 2002. The public beach adjacent to the site is easily accessed, although roadside parking is problematic and there are no public facilities available until reaching Frankfort, 4 mi south, or Platte River, 8 mi north, on M-22. Encouraged to visit are lighthouse aficionados, students of history, and lovers of the beautiful natural setting Pt. Betsie offers.
Charlevoix County - Lighthouses
Charlevoix South Pier Light, Grant Street (DNR Office), Charlevoix, MI 49720, Phone: (231) 547-0373. The Charlevoix South Pier Light is located on the west end of the south pier in Charlevoix Michigan. It has a skeletal base and a pyramidal steel tower. The first light in this area to be installed was on the north pier in 1885 and was made of wood. The wooden light was moved to the south pier in 1914, and the new steel light replaced the wooden one in 1948. The light is still an active aid to navigation on Lake Michigan. The pier is open to the public, but the light itself is not. Access to this light is by car.
Beaver Head Lighthouse, Beaver Island Southern tip, Beaver Island, MI 49782, Phone: (231) 448-2505. This lighthouse is located at the Beaver Head on the southern end of Beaver Island which was built in 1858, decommissioned in 1962. During the summer months from 8 AM to 9 PM, you can climb the tower and view the beautiful waters below.
Cheboygan County - Lighthouses
Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse, Bois Blanc Island, MI. Located on the north end of Bois Blanc Island, to mark a shoal that juts out into northern Lake Huron, the Bois Blanc Island lighthouse is a two-story, light-brick, dwelling with an attached square 38-foot tower jutting out from the front. Built in 1867, it is the third lighthouse on this location.
Cheboygan Crib, 606 Water Street, Cheboygan, MI 49721, Phone: (231) 436-5580. Standing on the end of a short pier at the mouth of the Cheboygan River, this concrete and stone crib on which has stood settled into the lake and rendered it useless. The town of Cheboygan salvaged the old light and placed it on display in a park at the end of Water Street, just east from US-23
Cheboygan River Front Range Lighthouse, 606 Water Street, Cheboygan, MI 49721, Phone: (231) 436-5580. The Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association is proud to announce that they will be opening the Cheboygan River Front Range lighthouse to the public from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. GLLKA took ownership of the 1880 lighthouse through the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act in June 2004, and will undertake the restoration of the station to its’ 1920 appearance over the next four years. As such, this represents a unique opportunity for lighthouse lovers to view the restoration in progress.
Fourteen Foot Shoal Light, Coastline, Cheboygan, MI 49721, Toll Free: (800) 828-6157. Located in Cheboygan county. It is one mile northwest of Cheboygan Point close to the main course of entry into Cheboygan Harbor.
Whitefish Point Lighthouse
Grand Traverse Lighthouse
Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse
Chippewa County - Lighthouses
Crisp Point Lighthouse, PO Box 229, Paradise, MI 49768, Phone: (906) 492-3206. Located approximately 12 to 13 miles west of Whitefish Point in a remote area in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It was constructed in 1903 and 1904 and became operational on May 5, 1904. It was decommissioned in 1993. The lighthouse was once crowned with a fixed 360 degree, red, fourth order light and stands 58 feet from its base to the ventilator ball of the lantern. Originally this site contained a lifesaving station and quarters, a two family brick light keeper's house with basement, a brick fog signal building, an oil house, two frame barns, a boat house and landing, a tramway, a lighthouse tower, and a brick service room entrance building. Today all that remains is the lighthouse tower and part of the brick service room. Most of the service room was washed away by Lake Superior in November of 1996. In January of 1998, the Crisp Point Lighthouse Historical Society had stone placed in front of the lighthouse tower to protect it from Lake Superior.
DeTour Reef Light, PO Box 307, Drummond Island, MI 49726, Phone: (906) 493-6609. The DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society (DRLPS) volunteers have worked since 1998 to restore and preserve the DeTour Reef Light located one mile offshore in northern Lake Huron at the far eastern end of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula between DeTour Village and Drummond Island. Built in 1931, the 83-foot tall lighthouse is a strategic and historic landmark that marks a dangerous reef to help guide ship traffic from and to Lake Huron and Lake Superior via the strategic St. Mary’s River. The DRLPS completed major restoration of the structure in 2004, and public tours to this unique lighthouse began in July, 2005. The DRLPS received the 2005 Governor's Award for excellence in historic preservation, and the Superior Award in 2006 from the Historical Society of Michigan. The DeTour Reef Light is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Martin Reef Light Station
Mission Point Light Station
Pipe Island Light Station
Point Iroquois Light Station. Brimley, Michigan. Point Iroquois Lighthouse was built in 1871 and stayed in operation until 1971. There is a massive 65 foot brick tower with an attached 2 story house. The lighthouse is completely restored. The house is a museum, and it is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Directions: North of Brimley via Lake Shore Drive to Point Iroquois and Lighthouse at the St. Mary's River entrance.
Round Island Light Station - Raber,.Michigan. Built in 1892, Round Island Light is now a private residence. The owners have completely remodeled and renovated the premises. Light is only accessible by boat. Directions: I-75 to M-134 east. Follow M-134 16 miles to M-129 north. Take M-129 2 miles to Swede road east, follow Swede Road to M-48 east for 10 miles to North Raber Road North to Lighthouse.
Whitefish Point Light Station. Whitefish Point, Michigan. Built in 1847, Whitefish Point Light Station was the first light on Lake Superior. It is the loccation of tragic shipwreck of Edmund Fitzgerald in November 1975. A beautiful steel skeleton structure with a massive two story house attached. The Keeper's dwelling is a museum highlighting famous Great Lake Shipwrecks. Directions: Co Rd 123 north through Tahquamenon Falls State Park to Whitefish Point State Park.
Delta County - Lighthouses
Cedar River Lighthouse, Highway 35, Cedar River, Escanaba, MI 49829, Phone: (906) 786-2192. While originally proposed as a coast light, the Lighthouse Board determined that the area would be better served by a beacon on the pierhead currently under construction by the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers.
Peninsula Point Light Station
Sand Point Lighthouse, 16 Water Plant Road, Escanaba, MI 49829, Phone: (906) 789-6790. Established in 1867 by the National Lighthouse Service, Sand Point's light has guided ships through squalls and shoals throughout its colorful history. A fire in 1886 destroyed the structure, but the lighthouse was rebuilt and served the sailing public until its decommissioning by the Coast Guard in 1939. Today an electronic club light guides boats into the harbor, and the lighthouse has been restored as a maritime museum.
Houghton County - Lighthouses
Jacobsville Lighthouse, 38741 Jacobs Street, Lake Linden, MI 49945. Phone: (906) 523-4137. Built in 1869 and Located on Lake Superior on Keweenaw Bay of Lake Superior. Now a privately owned Bed & Breakfast.
Copper Harbor Lighthouse and Tours, Fort Wilkins Historic State Park, Copper Harbor, MI 49918, Phone: (906) 289-4215. A narrated cruise through Copper Harbor's once bustling port takes you to one of Michigan's oldest lighthouses. Restored to its original 1866 beauty overlooking the majesty of Lake Superior, you are met by a staff member from the Michigan Dept. of History who will assist you through the interior complete with furnishings from the 1866 era. Please allow one and a half hours for the round-trip tour of the Lighthouse, new Maritime Museum, with easy walking paths leading to more historical artifacts and Michigan's first commercial copper mine site. Exhibits in the 1848 lightkeeper's dwelling show why the light tower was built, how the lights worked, who maintained the light and the overall context of the site. The 1866 lighthouse features exhibits that recreate the lives of keepers and their families during the early 20th century. Accessible only by ferry from the Copper Harbor Marina mid-May thru Mid October.
Copper Harbor Rear Range
Eagle Harbor Lighthouse Museum, M 26, Eagle Harbor, MI 49950, Phone: (906) 289-4990. This light is located 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built in 1851 as an octagonal brick tower with an attached dwelling. A fog signal building was added in 1895. It is still an active light and the keeper's dwelling is operated as a public museum. The Keweenaw County Historical Society operates a fascinating nautical and historical museum in the lighthouse and surrounding buildings. A Heritage Site of the Keweenaw National Historical Park.
Gull Rock Light, Coastline, Copper Harbor, MI 49918. Phone: (906)337-4579. This lighthouse must have been one of the loneliest assignments a Lake Superior lighthouse keeper would have to endure. The island is so small that during stormy weather waves wash over the entire area, leaving only the house and its square brick tower to withstand the forces of nature.
Isle Royale Light Station
Maniton Island Light Station
Mendota Light Station
Passage Island Light Station
Rock of Ages Light Station
Rock Harbor Light Station
Sand Hills Lighthouse
Leelanau County - Lighthouses
Fox Island Lighthouse, Fox Island Lighthouse Association, Sandra Serra Bradshaw, 1360 S. Bay View Trail, Suttons Bay, MI 49682-9663, Phone: (231) 271-0171. Located in Lake Michigan 17 statute miles off-shore on the southernmost tip of South Fox Island, Leelanau County. Built in 1867 to secure the northern entrance to the Manitou Passage, the light station was abandoned and left to decay in 1959. In cooperation with various organizations and authorities including the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the Fox Island Lighthouse Association (FILA), founded in 2004, is now trying to preserve the buildings and to protect the historic character and landscape of the state-owned South Fox Island Light Station.
Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum, M 201 (north of M22), Leelanau State Park, Northport, MI 49670. Phone: (231) 386-7195. This lighthouse marks the end of the Leelanau Peninsula and has guided ships in the Manitou Passage of Lake Michigan for nearly 150 years making it one of the oldest on the Great Lakes. This lighthouse is sponsored by the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Foundation and features a historic and educational museum resembling a lighthouse keeper's home of the 1920s and 30s with a variety of exhibits depicting a broad spectrum of maritime and local history. You can also now become a Guide and a working hand at the light house, so contact the volunteer keeper program for more details.
Luce County - Lighthouses
Crisp Point Light Station - Whitefish Point, Michigan. Built in 1904, the 58 ft brick tower now stands alone. At one time was surrounded by Light keeper's quarters and other outbuildings that have since been torn down or washed away by the water. The tower itself is in jeopardy of the same fate, volunteers are working to preserve the light by placing temporary breakwalls to limit the erosion and preserve the light. Directions: Co Rd 412 to Crisp Point in the Upper Peninsula 15 miles west of Whitefish Point. This lighthouse is privately owned but the public is allowed to visit.
Mackinac County - Lighthouses
Round Island Light Station
Round Island Passage Light
St. Helena Island Light
White Shoal Light Station
Manistee County - Lighthouses
Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse, Coastline, Manistee, MI 49660, Phone: (231) 723-4325. Located in Manistee county, on outer end of north pier. While Manistee began rebuilding immediately, the light was not to be replaced until 1873, when the new structure was augmented with a combination fog signal and light tower at the end of the wooden north pier. To make access to the light safer during stormy weather, this new light was outfitted with an elevated wooden catwalk running from the shore to the light.
Marquette County - Lighthouses
Big Bay Point Light Station
Granite Island Light Station, Coastline, Marquette, MI 49855, Phone: (906) 228-7749. Located in Marquette county on the northwest tip of granite island in Lake Superior. Only accessible by boat.
Huron Island Light Station
Marquette Breakwater Outer Light Station
Marquette Harbor Light Station
Preque Isle Breakwater Light
Stannard Rock Light Station
Mason County - Lighthouses
Big Sable Point Lighthouse, P.O. Box 673, Ludington State Park, M116, Ludington, MI 49431. Phone: (231) 845-7343. Big Sable Point Lighthouse was the first station constructed in this area. The Ludington North Breakwater Light in downtown Ludington guides vessels through the channel connecting the harbor, Pere Marquette River, and Lake Michigan. You can walk along the beach or the road in the Ludington State Park to reach the lighthouse.
Ludington North Breakwater Light, Stearns Park Beach, Stearns Park Outer Drive, Ludington, MI 49431, Phone: (231) 845-7343. Listed on the top five "must do's" during your Ludington vacation.. a walk out to Ludington North Breakwater Light. Located in Stearns' Park, enjoy a half-mile walk on the breakwall to the 57 foot high tower. This is a great spot to catch a fish or a sunset! Open to the public Wed to Sun from 10am to 5pm with a small admission fee. In 1870, Congress appropriated $6,00 to build a lighthouse on the south side of the Ludington Harbor. It was first lit in 1871. In 1924, the present structure was built on the north side of the harbor. The light is a square pyramidal building, steel framed and encased in riveted steel plates. The tower shines 19 miles out on Lake Michigan.
Menominee County - Lighthouses
Cedar River Lighthouse, Highway 35, Cedar River, Escanaba, MI 49829, Phone: (906) 786-2192. While originally proposed as a coast light, the Lighthouse Board determined that the area would be better served by a beacon on the pierhead currently under construction by the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers
Menominee North Pier Light Station
Tawas Point Lighthouse
Old Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse
Little Sable Point Lighthouse
Tawas Point Lighthouse Lantern
Oceana County - Lighthouses
Little Sable Point Lighthouse [Lighthouse], Silver Lake Road, Silver Lake State Park, Mears, MI 49436, Phone: (231) 873-3083, Located in Oceana County, the Little Sable Point Lighthouse was built in 1874 and once looked very similar to the Big Sable Point Lighthouse near Ludington. Both towers stood 107 ft tall, both were constructed of brick, and both had a third-order Fresnel lens. The Big Sable Point tower deteriorated and eventually was covered with steel plates, but the tower at Little Sable Point still looks much as it did 120 years ago. Open to the public Wed to Sat from 10am to 5pm with a small admission fee.
Ontonagon County - Lighthouses
Fourteen Mile Point Light Station, Lake Superior, Ontonagon, MI 49953, Phone: (906) 884-4735. Fourteen Mile Point Light Station is located on private property some 14 miles east of Ontonagon. The old trail the keepers used has long since overgrown and has become impenetrable. While views of the station can be had from a boat, we ask that anyone attempting to photograph the station honor the privacy rights of the owners, and do so from offshore. Special arrangement can be made through the Historical Society at (906) 884-6165.
Ontonagon Harbor West Pierhead
Ontonagon Light Station
Presque Isle County - Lighthouses
Forty Mile Point Lighthouse, Lighthouse Park, 7323 US 23 N, Rogers City, MI 49779, Phone: (989) 734-4587. Forty Mile Point Lighthouse is located on the northern shoreline of Lake Huron in Presque Isle County’s Lighthouse Park, Rogers City, Michigan. At a cost of $25,000, the station was completed by the end of 1896. Its 4th Order Fresnel lens has been a welcoming beacon to sailors since May 1897 and is still operating today. In 1996, the 40 Mile Point Lighthouse Society began restoring the lighthouse, outbuildings and grounds. Several years ago, the pilot house from the Steamer Calcite, built in 1912 and the first self-unloading steamer on the Lakes, was relocated to the reservation. The Society, with the help of many retired Great Lakes sailors, has also restored and preserved this structure. The park is open to the public year-round. The lighthouse and complementary buildings are open noon to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through mid-October. Group tours can also be arranged.
New Presque Isle Lighthouse Park and Museum, 4500 East Grand Lake Road, Presque Isle, MI 49777, Phone: (989) 595-5419. The Presque Isle Light Station includes three historic buildings. The light tower, which connects to the keeper’s dwelling, was built in 1870 and is the tallest lighthouse tower accessible to the public on the Great Lakes. Visitors may climb the 130 steps to the top of the tower for a nominal fee. An unattached keeper’s residence, constructed in 1905, has been painstakingly restored and now serves as a museum. The buildings are situated on a 99-acre township park, featuring in playground and picnic area. The buildings and grounds are open to the public from mid-May to Mid October, from 9 am to 6 pm daily. The 1905 House is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 11 am to 5 pm, Tueday through Saturday, 1 pm to 5 pm Sunday. closed Mondays.
Old Presque Isle Lighthouse, 5295 E. Grand Lake Road, Presque Isle, MI 49777, Phone: (989) 595-69679, The Old Presque Isle Lighthouse is on of the oldest surviving lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Built in 1840 by Jeremial Moors of Detroit, the harbor light opertated until 1871 when the light keeper transferred to the new taller coatal lighthouse a mile north. Visitors can climb the hand-hewn stone steps of the thirty foot tall tower for a panoramic view to the Lake Huron shoreline and Presque Isle Harbor. The keeper’s dwelling serves as a hands-on museum. Here visitors can blow fog horns and examine other artifacts. The buildings and park grounds are open to the public daily, from 9 am to 6 pm, mid[-May through mid-October. A nominal fee is charged for climbing the tower.
Schoolcraft County - Lighthouses
Lansing Shoal Lighthouse, Coastline, Gulliver, MI 49840, Phone: (906) 341-5010. Located in Mackinac County about 9 miles north of Beaver Island, this light was built in 1928. In 1985 it was converted to Solar Power, it's third order fresnel lens were removed and put on display in the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing.
Manistique East Breakwater Light Station, Coastline, Manistique, MI 49854, Phone: (906) 341-5010. Located in Schoolcraft county on the end of the east breakwater.
Seul Choix Point Light Station, 672 N. West Gulliver Lake Road, Gulliver, MI 49840, Phone: (906) 283-3183. This conical brick light tower was originally built in 1895 at a cost of $18,500, it stands at 78'9". It produces a lens focal plane 80' above the mean low water level of Lake Michigan. The tower is surmounted by a 10-sided cast iron lantern. The lantern originally held a third order Fresnal lens, but is now fitted with a modern airport beacon lens. Tower tours are available and visitors are welcome to enjoy the surrounding grounds, which includes a picnic area, walking paths, and public boat launch.